WFMW – Get Anything Done In Fifteen Minutes

stopwatch_time_clock_266564_l

As I strive to rise above my feelings to do the things that need to be done, I’m finding that it’s incredibly helpful to take the advice of Flylady, who suggests that we get our work accomplished in fifteen minute intervals. If I’m looking at a kitchen sink filled with dirty dishes, pots and pans all over the counter, a table that needs to be cleared and a floor that needs to be swept, I can start feeling overwhelmed pretty quickly. But if I’ll commit to just FIFTEEN minutes, things don’t seem nearly as overwhelming, and I can always find it in me to rise above my feelings for at least fifteen minutes – no matter how tired I am (or how lazy I’m feeling.) And you know what? It usually gets done in that amount of time! And if it doesn’t, I’m usually motivated enough by then to keep going.

I have a friend who is able to complete entire sewing projects in fifteen minute intervals, and I hope to eventually get other projects done this way. I think that setting my mind on a specific amount of time helps to keep me from getting overwhelmed and frustrated when I’m looking at a big, possibly time-consuming project. There aren’t enough hours in the day to get all my cleaning and reading and sewing and BLOGGING done… but I can do ANYTHING for fifteen minutes. And eventually a strip of fabric gives way to a cut piece, which becomes a bodice, and then a dress. A word becomes a sentence, and then a paragraph becomes a post.

That’s what is Working For Me!

Related Posts:
More Works For Me Wednesdays

This entry was posted in Cleaning/Organizing, Crafts, Homemaking, PERSONAL, Works for me Wednesday. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to WFMW – Get Anything Done In Fifteen Minutes

Good thoughts! Anything can be tolerable for just fifteen minutes, and sometimes, it’s just the motivation to start something that we really need. Once we’re into a project, it often doesn’t seem nearly so bad.

2. Bev says:

I heard this advice from FlyLady several years ago and used it to write my entire master’s thesis in 15 minute increments. It works.

3. Leanne says:

Very well put. My problem is usually getting over the slump to actually start a project, but 15 minute intervals definitely sounds like it could motivate me. Thanks.

4. sjbraun says:

Very good idea, and one I’ve been using lately. I’ll set the kitchen timer for 15 or 30 min. and do a task for that long. It does work!
    Susan

5. Rachel says:

Thanks for sharing! This was a great reminder. I look forward to reading more of your site. As I glance at your categories, I think I will find a lot of valuable information! I’ll be back! :)

Thanks, Rachel. I visited your site as well and look forward to reading more from you!
      Bev, I’ll have to tell my husband that… he’s working on a book and often gets discouraged because it’s going so slowly.
      Thats how things are for me, too, Leanne. I love that I can set my timer and know that I can quit ANY time those fifteen minutes are up!

6. I have used this trick and it does work well! I just need to do it more often!!

7. WEEBLE says:

Because of health reasons I use a timer set at 20 minutes. I do a job for 20 minutes and rest for 20 minutes. Then do another job, etc. It works for me!