Thursday’s Thought

I’m reading a wonderful book right now called Witchcraft in the Church by Rick Godwin. It’s truly an eye-opening book that exposes the subtle influence that witchcraft can have on our lives. The authors premise is that, while most of us think of spells and broomsticks when we think of witchcraft, it is far more prevalent in the church (and in our every day lives) than we might think. 1 Samuel 15:23 tells us that “rebellion is the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is iniquity and idolatry.” The author explains that “witchcraft” can be defined as manipulation and intimidation for the sake of domination. I found today’s quote especially powerful:

“Every time I insist on having my own way I expose myself to satanic, demonic influence. Every time. The door just swings wide open, and Satan’s hosts can come right in.”

To read more Thoughts for Thursday, or if you’d like to post your own quote, click Here.

Related Posts:

Children: Blessing or Burden?

This entry was posted in Parenting, PERSONAL, Serving Others, Thursday's Thought. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Thursday’s Thought

1. Jerri says:

Very interesting topic, Rina! I totally agree with your quote about insisting on having our own way opens the door for Satan. Rebellion leads to a host of problems in the church and in the family, too!

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I’m enjoying getting to know you, too, and see that we feel the same way about many things. I’m glad to meet great women like you in the blog world.

Interesting. It sounds like a description of the whole country right now, which I guess shouldn’t really be a surprise since Satan is the Prince of this World.

3. motherhen68 says:

That book sound interesting. I am fighting a battle to give up my own will and submit to my husband’s will. This goes against years and years of “having my own way if I pitched a big enough fit” mentality.

I’m going to see if the library has this book.

Motherhen, I actually have an extra copy of it, if you’d be interested in it. If so, let me know and I’ll email you for your address.

4. motherhen68 says:

Oh Rina, that would be so wonderful! My email is PaulaB52 at cox dot net. Just email me and I’ll give you my address.

5. Fred says:

I don’t know how much you know about Rcik Godwin but he has been in the news lately. Unfortunately, he lives his book at his church. He has been stealing money and abusing people with manipulation and domination. He has gone through so many people and hurt so many people including his own daughter who he put up for adoption. You should go to the San Antonio Express News site and read some of this information including viewing the very receipts that were signed by Godwin. Sad place!

Fred, Thank you for your comment and for your desire to warn a fellow believer about a possible false ministry. I appreciate your desire to see God’s people walking in truth. In response to your comment, I would like to direct you to one of my posts, entitled “The Accuser of the Brethren.” There you will find my response to many of these sorts of claims, written both in the main article and in the comments section. I don’t deny that these claims are legitimate, or that Rick Godwin has some areas of sin that he needs to deal with. However, I did get a lot out of his book and I believe that limiting ourselves to accepting only the teachings of those who have never fallen into sin would be to disregard large portions of the bible itself. King David was both an adulterer and a murderer. Solomon infiltrated Israel with the worship of other Gods. Moses’ sin kept him from entering the Promised Land. Etc.
      Again, thank you for taking the time to write. I appreciate your commitment to holiness.