Days at the Park

We took a few trips to our local state park this week, and it was amazing.  There were deer walking around the parking lot and hawks (or eagles?) flying overhead.  We found a secluded place to pick-nick and the kids ran around and explored to their hearts content… while I took pictures, of course!  Here are a few I can share with you:

0-at-the-park6

The first day we went, we went a little too close to sunset and weren’t able to make it all the way up the trail. I took this picture on the way down – I didn’t get many, because we were in a huge hurry to get back to the car before sunset!

0-at-the-park9

Bitty (our youngest daughter) spent most of her time at the park chasing butterflies and trying to catch birds.  If you know Bitty, this won’t surprise you.  :)

0-at-the-park5

It didn’t take long before all that running around caught up with them!

0-at-the-park4

(Yes, those are my daughters dirty feet, and yes, we let them run around barefoot!) ;)

The boys:

0-at-the-park3

I took about 7,000 shots of the kids together, trying to get a good group photo.  I ended up saving two.  I took this one hoping to use it as my header (replacing the picture of the bird at the top of my blog), but didn’t make it wide enough.  Oh well, we’ll just have to go back and try again!  :)

0-at-the-park1

There were deer everywhere, we were able to pull up just a few yards from them!

0-at-the-park7

0-at-the-park8

We saw many hawks (eagles?) over head, and eventually got a picture of one.  For those of you who know about birds – can you tell me what this is?

0-at-the-park2

At the end of the day, we crossed the ferry to get home.  It was the first time we’d ever gone over the ferry, and we got a bit lost after crossing the other side, but it was a great adventure!

0-at-the-park101

It was a great time for everyone, and we’re planning another trip back soon!

This entry was posted in Daybook, PERSONAL. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Days at the Park

1. wendy says:

I hope I say this in the right way. The picture of your husband is the manliest thing I have even seen. I love men with full beards and then add him with children all over. You are a blessed woman, to have a husband who knows what a true man treasures.

Wendy, I have to tell you… my husband wears a beard because it’s one of the Biblical commandments (Lev. 19:27), but it’s something that he sometimes struggles with. Our society really doesn’t appreciate men with beards (have you ever noticed how “clean shaven” is associated with honesty and morality?) and not to mention how tired he gets of the Santa Claus comments! I agree with you – I LOVE seeing men with beards, and I look forward to sharing your comment with him. I know he will appreciate it, and I think you said it just right. :)

I love beards, too! It strikes me as so odd that our society accentuates every other difference between men’s and women’s bodies (men should have broad shoulders, women should have small waists, etc.), and yet we obliterate this one obvious difference and insist on pretending that men have faces as baby soft as a lady’s when God didn’t make them that way. Weird.

Great pictures, as usual. I think the one with all your little blessings in a row would make a great header. I hope you can get one as wide as you need.

3. Erika says:

My goodness, you take photos like you’ve been taking them for years- they look fantastic and very professionally done.

Thank you for sharing, I can just see that you all had such a wonderful time together exploring the park, what a treasure to spend time in God’s creation just enjoying each other.

4. motherhen68 says:

My fav photos are the sunset, the barefeet, and the hawk. My son E says it’s a Red Tailed Hawk, not a Golden Eagle as I thought it was. Was it’s chest speckled?

My kids have the filthiest feet in the world! I almost need to bring them to one of those Asian nail salons to get a pedicure because no matter the soaking in the tub they do, they stay dirty LOL. I guess wearing crocs and playing in the muddy ditch catching frogs & crawfish will do that.

I’ve been having fun w/my camera again. It’s been really fun trying to catch expressions on the kids’ faces without it being posed.

Jerri, the pictures here are the best of the 300 or so shots I took… I’m still learning, too! I have a zoom lens (and I crop at 100%!), so I have fun with nature shots but landscapes are difficult for me. I really need to get some books on composition.
      Motherhen, I can totally relate to dirty feet that never come clean! Maybe I should try your nail salon idea! Thanks for letting me know about the hawk. I don’t remember whether its chest was speckled, but I thought it looked more like a hawk, too.

5. Jerri says:

My husband and I went to the park today, too. We wanted to enjoy spring and take pictures, and I did get some good shots. But I think yours are better! You really do a great job with photographing nature – and your family.

In my neck of the woods, it was pretty breezy today so we got kind of chilly! But spring will come – it always does.

6. I see that your daughters where coverings as well! I was wondering if you have any advice on young girls covering? I just started over a year ago and my husband and I have thought of having our 10 year old daughter cover, but are having a hard time due to the fact that she can barely keep anything on her head in one place without a covering. And when she has worn one, it falls off or gets crazy looking within the hour (without her noticing), or she complains of being hot, uncomfortable, etc. I just don’t know what to do!! So was wondering if this is a normal thing with young girls, or something that my daughter struggles with on her own that we have to overcome!

Love the pictures! You have a beautiful family :)

Meghann, our girls have been wearing headcoverings since they were very young, so we haven’t really dealt with this problem but I would imagine that her objection to the headcovering is pretty normal for a young girl. When I first started covering, I also had a difficult time with it (they ARE hot, and the reactions of others is sometimes difficult) but I have the advice of an older mother to thank for the fact that we started covering when the girls were young and haven’t had to deal with this ourselves. We do have a child whose hair is always EVERYWHERE, though, and when she wears her covering it’s always falling off or slipping down her face, or her hair is coming out from under it, etc. We just do the best we can with it and don’t mind retying it throughout the day. You could consider hair clips as an option (they have things like hat pins that will go through the fabric and pin into their hair, or you could put regular snap clips on the outside of her covering.) Also, you might want to experiment with different coverings. I think if I had our girl wearing a bonnet it would stay in place better, but so far it’s just been easier (and cheaper) for us to use bandannas. The other thing that I would suggest is getting her “on board” with you and your husband about the headcovering. If she sees it right now as an inconvenience that Mom and Dad are putting on her, then chances are it’s going to be difficult for her to get to a place where she WANTS to wear it, despite the discomfort (and it can be uncomfortable – especially during the summer!) Have you ever sat her down and looked over the scriptures with her, showing her WHY you feel she should cover? Also, is there any way that you could make the covering something special for her? A sign of womanhood, much like wearing makeup is for many young girls? I’ve found that when I let my girls pick out their own coverings, they’re much more excited about wearing them. It might be really fun for her to go out shopping with you and find a really cute outfit she loves, purchasing a matching headcovering to go with her outfit. It also might help if you allowed her to pick her own “style” of covering. For about three years, I wore the same types of coverings and to be honest I really didn’t like wearing them! But then one day my husband gave me a budget and I went online and picked out some of the most beautiful headcoverings I’d ever seen, in a “style” I’d never worn before. Now, wearing them makes me feel good, in the way a pretty blouse or skirt makes a woman feel as opposed to a drab dress that she “has” to wear. I don’t know if that’s what you’re looking for but those are my first thoughts about how I might handle that situation. I hope this is helpful.

7. Thank you for your response! It has helped tremendously to encourage me…I emailed you privately so when you get a chance you can respond.

Blessings!