April 6, 2009

swdaybook

Outside my window… It’s supposed to be rainy today, but yesterday was beautiful and the kids spent a lot of time outdoors.  Usually, they spend their time chasing chickens or playing on the swing set, but today they decided to make dirt pies…

0-bitty-dirt

0-bitty-and-boo

0-dirt-pie

0-little-feet

0-shovel

I am thankful for… My step mom, and the relationship we are developing.  We’ve always been somewhat close, but as the years have gone by and we’ve weathered some rough times together, we are becoming so much closer than we ever have been and I’m so thankful.

From the learning rooms… We recently had a big scare when a tornado came through our town as we were on our way home from the park.  We had stopped to pick up pizza and were in the van waiting for it, when a friend called to ask if we were okay and informed us about the tornado (we didn’t have the radio on, so we wouldn’t have known.)  I made the mistake of mentioning it to my husband in front of the children and they, especially the older girls, panicked!  I was amazed, because we’ve been through so many tornado warnings and they have never been afraid before, but I guess the combination of being ay from home and the fact that it was pouring down rain really freaked them out.  Needless to say, we’ve been doing damage control this week and yesterday Daddy pulled up some tornado video’s for them to watch, hoping to show them how fascinating they are.  Unfortunately, he chose to show them a video of a tornado ripping up a house and… well… it really wasn’t helpful.  So I think that this week we’ll be continuing in our education of tornadoes.  Scary video’s not included.

From the kitchen… Look what the kids found!!!

0-cal

All the numbers have been found!!!  ((Never mind the fact that April only has 30 days.  In fact, I may keep the 31 up there just because it makes me happy. [If you have no idea what I’m talking about, you can click Here for the story.])

I am creating… A photography portfolio.  A little premature, I’ll admit, but it never hurts to dream!

I am going… to have another busy week, and I’m really looking forward to it!

I am reading…I’ve been looking at a lot of online photography tutorials.  I recently found out this amazing site maintained by a self-taught photographer who, only a year after getting her first DSLR, opened her own business.  I’m amazed, and so inspired!!!

I am praying … For my brother.  He’s currently playing in the minor leagues (baseball), and was recently supposed to be moved up.  Instead, they have kept him in summer camp, and while I personally see this as a good thing (they want to work more on his hitting before determining where he will go), he is crushed and his confidence is shaken.  God had recently been showing Himself real to my brother through his experiences with baseball, and I firmly believe that Satan is using this situation for a counter-attack.  I am praying that God would make Himself real to my brother EVEN IN THIS situation, and that he would become firmly confident in the promise that “ALL things work together for good for those who love and serve the Lord.”

Around the house… Getting the leaven out of our home this week in preparation for Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread. We’ve been keeping the Passover for about four years now and so far we have never yet gotten all the leaven out before Passover.  There has always been something that we have forgotten.  One year it was toothpaste (baking soda) and another year it was dog food we forgot to check (yeast).  Another time I found cheerios under our bed (I promise you, I swept under there!) and once we even forgot to plan our grocery list accordingly and came home with bread!  Although we don’t plan to leave leaven in our home, it’s always an excellent reminder of how sin can creep into our lives.  Just when we think we’ve dealt with it all, we find another cheerio lurking in the corner – another sinful piece of our nature we thought had been purged.  Maybe this year we’ll get all of the physical  leaven… and pray that the spiritual leaven will follow suit.

One of my favorite things… Having Passover meal cooked for us!!!  I am soooo happy (and relieved) to say that our Passover meal will be cooked by a friend with whom we’re going to celebrate.  We’re going to buy the groceries, and because she loves to cook – she’s going to cook the meal.  Does it sound like we got the best part of this deal or what?!

A few plans for the rest of the week… Getting the house ready for Passover (and my grandma!)  I think that’s going to take up most of my free time.  :)

Here [are some] picture thought[s] I am sharing…

0-musical-chairs

Playing musical chairs with Grandma and Daddy

0-bitty-and-boo-in-the-grass2

Picking grass for Mommy

0-bitty-and-boo2

All those sticks are from the ice storm.  We still haven’t gotten them all up.

Related Posts:

More Daybook Entries

Daybook entries from other “Simple Women

Bookmark and Share
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to April 6, 2009

1. Jerri says:

Wonderful post, Rina, and as usual I loved your pictures, esp. the one with the children picking grass for Mommy. I totally think you got the best part of the deal – buying supplies for the meal instead of cooking it. One question, who has to clean up after the meal? :)

Jerri, we’ll BOTH end up cleaning up, as she’ll be cooking at her house, but we’ll be eating at our house!
      Tamie, it’s a Nikon D90. I love it!
      Erika, how horrible! Poor little thing, I pray that she’ll get over her fears – and that our kids will, too!

2. Tamie says:

Your photos are GORGEOUS!!! What camera are you using?

Enjoyed your Daybook! Have a great week!

~Tamie

3. angela says:

great pictures My husband would of thought the Tornado was awesome I however am more normal and I am a bit more scared

4. Erika says:

First, let me just say how envious I am of your gorgeous green grass and bare feet! Our grass is still mostly brown and it’s still so cool outside. Sigh. I guess I am just tired of waiting for the real spring to show up.

Secondly, I wasn’t sure if I should laugh or cry with you about the tornados! Oh my, your poor children, I hope they all calm down and that the learning process about the tornados helps them all. I had a deathly fear of tornados as a child as well, and have tried very hard to not pass that on… instead, my kids have a deathly fear of fire. When Abigail was in kindergarten, for fire safety week they showed a video of a little girl playing with a candle, spilling it and starting the house on fire. The impression left was that the girl actually died! it was horrible, and our daughter had nightmares for almost two full months. Almost four years later, and I still can’t have a candle in the house. It’s a good thing we have an electric stove. (And a good thing we’ve decided to homeschool, no more fire safety week!)

Oh, your beautiful spring pictures sure are whetting my appetite! I woke up this morning to a blanket of snow all over everything. And now I’m listening to the whistling of the wind.

Yikes! WHERE in the world do you find kosher for Passover dog food??? Or do you just have to feed your dogs scrambled eggs and such?

Oh, I’m sooooo glad I don’t live where you are! I really really don’t like cold weather. :)
      Dog food… we just have to find a brand that doesn’t have yeast or pork in it. I can’t remember what we’ve gotten in times past, but we just search the isles of Wal-Mart and have always been able to find something. Cat food is a little more difficult, so we usually just feed them wet food during that week (and they don’t complain!)

6. Beautiful pictures, as usual! I nominated you for an award over on my blog. Thanks for being an inspiration!

7. lori says:

I love the green grass! We tilled and seeded our yard and it’s hard to be patient for it to all be full and thick. I want to lay in it. =) Your kids look like they really enjoy life……

8. Tina says:

I loved your daybook. The photos are great.
    I had to respond when you mentioned the tornado. Last year a tornado came through our town and hit our house. Our house was not completely destroyed (as many houses in our neighborhood were) but it was significantly damaged and we had to move out for 4 1/2 months while it was being fixed. We saw God working in amazing ways throughout the experience and it left an indelible mark on our family’s lives. I posted about it on my blog. If you go to my blog and click on the tornado label in the side bar, it’ll pull them up. Three of the posts are labeled “tornado memories” and are basically my testimony of what we experienced and what we saw God do. The other posts are posts I made throughout the rebuilding process.
    I thought you (and possibly) your girls might be interested and encouraged by seeing what we went through and how God worked in amazing ways! (Two of my girls are still nervous when bad weather comes through – they always have been – but now they do have the experience of God carrying us in the palm of His hand to help take the edge off it. It’s taken the fear out of me in bad weather – I still use common sense but no fear. God is good and so faithful! It’s all for His glory.)
    In His love,
    Tina

Tina, I’m so thankful you said something and I will definitely look at your tornado memories post… and hopefully share it with my kids, as well. Thank you so much for sharing that and I look forward to reading it.