Since Thursday, I’ve swung from despair to hope to confusion to worry and back again to hope… and then sometimes, like now, I just feel numb.
Since finding out that Mocha (probably) died from CL, Jon and I have been weighing our options – at least, the options we can see that we have – but so far, we haven’t dug too deep into figuring out what we’re going to do. Actually, we’re still holding out hope that the cultures will come back and we’ll find out she died from some other disease – one that isn’t at all contagious. That’s at least a possibility, however slight. We also have to wait on the culture from Mini Pearl’s abscess, because we have some decisions to make about her. If she has it, do we put her down? Or do we keep her separate from the rest of the herd and breed her in the fall, in hopes that we can catch the babies as soon as they’re born and keep them in a third field? If we do that, we’ll need to rent more land. Can we do that?
So, for now, we’re waiting. And we’re praying. And we know there will probably be some tough decisions we have to make soon.