Mini Colors Birth Story

This farming adventure we’ve only just begun to embark on is filled with exhaustion and frustration and sheer hard work.  It’s also filled with adventure and learning and beautiful surprises.

On Thursday night, we stayed up late with some friends, butchering a deer (the first one we’ve ever processed ourselves) and on Friday morning we got up early to milk the animals.  We spent the entire day in the hot, hot sun working on fencing and were rewarded for our hard work with two baby doelings at the end of the day!  What a wonderful, wonderful life!

We’ve been watching Mini Colors since mid-September, knowing that she could kid any time after September 29th, and that it would most likely happen in early October (that’s if my records were correct, which I wasn’t taking too much stock in.)  I knew that the most accurate way to predict the day of kidding was to check her ligaments so the kids and I have been checking them every morning and every night when she’s on the milk stand and feeling them slowly get softer and softer.

Friday morning all was as it has been, except that the kids noticed that her udder was significantly larger, but ligaments felt the same so we didn’t make any special preparations.  That afternoon, as we were moving the fence and getting ready to take the goats to their new spot in the pasture, we noticed that she was having what looked like contractions!  I checked her ligaments, and sure enough, they were gone!  We coaxed her out of the pen with grain and put her in another pen by herself and the waiting began…

LR 20131006-DSC_2939 LR 20131006-DSC_2936I called my friend Kathy (who we got our newest goats from), and she assured me that everything was as it should be (this was the first birth I’d ever been present for.)  Shortly after, things started to progress and it became obvious that the first kid was on its way!


the look of a goat working hard!


so exciting!

20131006-DSC_2954  20131006-DSC_295820131006-DSC_2965Seeing that little head sticking out, blinking its eyes and opening and closing it’s mouth had to be one of the most amazing, frightening experiences I’ve ever had with the animals.  I kept asking Jon “should we do something?  Should we do something?”  He assured me everything was okay and that things were going exactly as they were supposed to.

Sure enough, a few seconds later……



Little one was strong and healthy and began nursing quickly, and Jon checked the sex – a girl!!!  We waited to see if there would be any others and sure enough, Colors began pushing again, and this one (another girl!) was still in the amniotic sac!  I didn’t get any pictures of the birth of the second one because I was too busy freaking out assisting.

We got her delivered and out of the amniotic sac and realized quickly that she was going to need help.  For one thing, she was TINY – half the size of her sister.  For another, she was just laying down and although momma was licking on her and talking to her, she wasn’t showing any interest.  I grabbed her and ran into the house, and immersed her into a hot water bath.  That’s something I’d learned from reading the birth stories over at Antiquity Oaks Farm and from our own experiences with a baby lamb who died several months ago.  I learned from a friend then that you can determine whether a baby is too cold by feeling the temperature in its mouth – it shouldn’t be cold, and they won’t nurse if they’re cold.

We got her temperature up pretty quickly and when she started trying to stand up and nurse in the water, I pulled her out and Bitty and I dried her off with a hair dryer as Jon and the other kids stayed with Colors to watch for another kid and/or the afterbirth.

We continued to monitor Baby 2 to make sure she was nursing and we offered her a bottle a few times (with varying success.)  Once we were sure she’d gotten the hang of it and that there weren’t any more kids coming, we hung the heat lamp and made a little bed for them out of straw and left momma to take care of her babies.  Jon and Bitty got up with them once during the night to check on them, and this morning they’re both doing great!  I haven’t gotten any pictures of the first baby, but here are a few pictures I got of #2 last night:

 LR 20131006-DSC_3002 20131006-DSC_3000

Here she is, standing right next to her sister so you can see the huge size difference!


Happy Momma…

LR 20131006-DSC_3006

These are the first babies ever bred on our farm, so they’ll be the first to carry our farm name (Faithful With Little)  We’re not sure yet if they’ll be kept or given away as part of the Milk Enough Project or whether they’ll be sold as pets, but either way, it’s all very exciting!

This entry was posted in Farm & Garden, PERSONAL. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Mini Colors Birth Story

  1. mcpem says:

    Oh, Rina, I am so happy for you! (And the kids and Jon, of course). Congradulations on the arrival of your very first babies. How is D’Clair doing? We are awaiting the arrival of a new farm baby, too. It will be a cria (alpaca baby). Snowball was due Oct. 2nd but they can go a month late so we aren’t holding our breath too tightly. Anyway, I think of you and your family often and have gotten much encouragement from your words of faith. I look forward to your blog and seeing how all is going down in Kentucky.

    • Rina says:

      Thank you, Connie!!! D’Clair is doing great! Assuming she’s pregnant, she should be due sometime soon, too! Awww… Alpaca’s are so adorable, I follow a few bloggers who have alpacas and the babies are SOOO CUTE! Hope all is well with you guys!