Holocaust, 2015

056 refugee4(CLICK FOR VIDEO)

*Western Kentucky Refugee Assistance in Bowling Green, KY:
270-781-8336.*

I’ve often wondered what I would have done, had the holocaust happened in my own country, in my own lifetime.  Would I have been one of the people who hid the Jews?  Would I have put my family at risk, to become part of the underground?  I know myself well enough to have never flippantly answered that question.  I’ve always known that I don’t know.

The world is now being asked the same question.  In light of the Syrian crisis, how will we respond?

The Germans feared Hitler and what his military forces would do to them if they harbored Jews or interfered in any way.
We in America fear ISIS and the remote possibility of unknowingly harboring a terrorist.

Both of these are/were real possibilities (although the second significantly less so.*)  How will we respond?  How will I respond?  Currently, my response is one of omission motivated by one thing:

FEAR.

The answer to my long-asked question is now clear to me.  Had I been a German during the Holocaust, I would have done nothing.

And now God is tapping me on the shoulder, nagging me with another question – one that I don’t want to hear:

“Who am I?”

Is God really my provider, my protector?  Can I trust Him, in that capacity?  Can I trust Him with my safety?  Can I trust Him with my children?  When I open the pages of my bible, this is what I find:

• “You shall also love the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.” Deuteronomy 10:19
  • “Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.” Hebrews 13:2
  • “Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress…” James 1:27
  • “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’” – Matthew 25:41-45

Although there might be many political, financial, and logistical reasons for citizens to reject the influx of global refugees, there are no theological ones. – (Read more Here)

055 refugee

We are living in a time when we’re being asked to do the least of these things.  When people’s lives depend on it and those who believe in Jesus, who claim to put their trust in Him, ought to be first in line to help.  Instead, we cower in fear and ask our government to close its borders.

Rachel Held Evans put it well when she wrote:

The question isn’t whether Jesus would embrace or reject refugees. Jesus *was* a refugee (Matthew 2:13 ) and *is* present among refugees today (Matthew 25:35). The question is whether we will turn away Christ Himself when he comes to us in this “distressing disguise.”

Might we unwittingly harbor members of ISIS?  Perhaps (please see links below for more information on this.)  Had we lived in Germany during the Holocaust, we might also have been caught.  These are the kinds of fears that made the murder of six million Jews possible, while virtually every country in the world – including ours – stood by.

refugees2(For other sobering statistics, click Here.)

Satan wants to divide humanity — to instill fear, hatred, and distrust. So he’ll attempt to demonize the innocent and falsely accuse them of being violent, evil, and dangerous. We’ll be provided with an infinite — sometimes even logical-sounding — amount of excuses to do nothing, to protect ourselves, and to withhold the love of Christ.

But imagine if Jesus limited his ministry based upon the conditions of comfort and security:

There would be no traveling through Samaria — too hazardous. No interacting with foreigners — too dangerous. No helping strangers — too risky. No healing the sick — too unsafe. No attracting crowds — too insecure. No performing miracles — too perilous. No public speaking — too unprotected. No giving to the poor — too wasteful. No interacting with outcasts — too socially unacceptable. No disciples — too untrustworthy. No generosity — too wasteful. No grace — too weak. No forgiveness — too soft. No death on the cross — too painful (to say the least).

If Jesus used the same stipulations for love that we do, the gospel never would have existed, because almost every single experience Jesus put himself in required risk, sacrifice, and vulnerability. And instead of being fueled by fear, Jesus was fueled by hope.

(Read more)

In the end, no matter which way I spin this, there is only one answer I can find Jesus in:

“Whatever you did for one of the least of these, you did for Me.”

056 refugee2

A woman named Shannan Martin shared this over on Jen Hatmaker‘s facebook page. It’s so true, it hurts:

We just want a way around this part. This one is too hard to even allow ourselves to think about. I want a pass on a lot of things right now, but I know this to be true: the way of Jesus never makes sense. It never allows us to position ourselves or our safety above others. It is so obvious and it makes me want to run away and cry.

Following Jesus has always been about sacrifice.  Out of twelve disciples of Jesus, ten were martyred.  The early church suffered persecution unlike anything we’ve ever seen and foreign missionary work has always been rife with danger.  And yet, Christians all over the world – from the day of Jesus’s Resurrection until now – have been willing to make the sacrifice.

Right here, right now, we have the opportunity to minister to hurting people from across the world in our own back yards.  Not in the traditional American way of dragging them to a megachurch to repeat the “sinners prayer” but in serving, supporting and caring for those who need it most.  As one commenter put it: “What is the point of sending missionaries over sea, if we are not willing to care for people when they come over seas to us?

For years and years and years it has been nearly impossible to get missionaries (even sneakily) into parts of the Middle East. It’s so dangerous, some, assuming they can even get in, are likely to be killed so quickly they can’t do much evangelizing. And now, hundreds of thousands of beaten, hurting, orphaned, widowed (google “pure and undefiled religion) and broken people are trying to come to US.

Is it possible that a small percentage of them want to kill us? — Let me counter that question with another question:

Does it matter?
(Read More)

It’s true that it may be dangerous.  Some may even lose their lives.  This has been the way of discipleship since the beginning.  We have the chance to minister to a people in dire need of Jesus.  Never in our time has the need been so great, never has the call been so important.

How will we answer?

One last thing…

In addition to the arguments against bringing Syrian refugees in due to the remote possibility that they are ISIS members, I’m seeing sentiments like this floating around a lot lately:

refugees

Although I can understand the sentiment, it comes from a faulty worldview based on lack.  In truth, America has resources enough to care for both.  But more importantly, my question for those who share this mentality is this: What are you currently DOING about the poor in your own back yard?

To sit in the comforts of our own homes and complain about the poor in our own country accomplishes nothing – for ANYONE.  With all the love I can possibly muster, I say to you:

Don’t say another word, don’t post another picture.  YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

If you are not actively caring for the poor around you, then you are passively contributing to the problem and your opinions on this matter are worthless.  I love you, but I don’t want to hear from you.  However, should you wish to actively love the poor around you, here is what I propose:  You focus on the poor in your own country, city, back yard.  While you’re doing that, someone else, who has a heart that burns for the refugees, will do all they can do to care for them.  Meanwhile, those who have hearts for orphans will open up their homes, and yet others will care for the poor on the other side of the globe and between us all, people will be fed, clothed and sheltered and above all loved.  Personally, I don’t believe our efforts have to be either/or. But if you do…

START SOMEWHERE.

Find the homeless in your city, take in a foster child, donate money, help the refugees. If you feel passionately about only one of these things, then DO THAT THING. Other people will do their thing, and together we’ll make a difference.

*The American refugee program has been in place since 1975. In that time, we have been home to over three million refugees and not one – NOT ONE – has ever committed a terrorist act on US soil. Of the 859,629 refugees admitted since 2001, only three have been convicted of planning terrorist attacks (on targets outside of the United States,) and none was successfully carried out. That is one terrorism-planning conviction for every 286,543 refugees that have been admitted. That’s over 200,000 desperately hurting people to every ONE terrorist. To put that in perspective, about 1 in every 22,541 Americans committed murder in 2014.

Contrast this to the thousands who were caught and jailed or killed helping the Jews during the Holocaust.  Many have accused me of being unfair in my comparison of the refugee crisis to the Holocaust, and they’re right.  Those who helped the Jews were much, much more likely to lose their lives and those of their families than we are by helping the refugees.

Related Articles:

The Syrian refugee crisis: we all have a choice to make
Greater Love
“They”

Outside links:

Syrian refugees don’t pose a serious security threat

5 ways to stand up and be the church in the world’s worst refugee crisis since WWII

Rejecting refugees, rejecting Christ

3 facts about the Syrian refugee crisis that many Christians overlook

6 reasons to welcome refugees after Paris

Syrian refugees are not a threat

US Governors are wrong: Syrian refugees are no threat to national security

as

This entry was posted in Faith, Fear, Love, PERSONAL, Politics, Serving Others. Bookmark the permalink.

196 Responses to Holocaust, 2015

1. andrew says:

let them move in your town give them a room out of your house!

yes, exactly.

• D.L. says:

No not exactly. This is a very responsible article. There’s no apples to apples comparison with the innocent Jewish fleeing for their lives, and these people recruited, yes recruited with the stated goal of out populating us within 30to 40 years & imposing Muslim control. Look on the mend between 20 and 40 fit with the goal of taking wives here. They know they don’t have to strap on a bomb to squeeze us out of our own communities.
        They have no desire to assimilate & they’re not hiding their goal to take over, documented very well by the BBC recently. In Germany they on the verge of collapse in certain areas. People literally afraid to come out of their houses and into the streets. True refugees looking for a place to start over and inegrate,That is entirely different. Don’t be fooled. Listen to what they themselves are saying is they come out, chanting the songs of domination and control & the removal of all those oppose their ideology.

• Anonymous says:

We hosted a family of refugees in our own home for six years. Thanks to us they learned how to speak English and how to drive. One young lady graduated from high school only because of me. They came to USA after spending 20 years at the refugee camp in Nepal. I already did!

• Heather says:

I would argue that you should be saying “thanks to God’s grace …” Not “thanks to me.”

Heather, I appreciate your comment and your desire to acknowledge God in this. I’ve always appreciated what Bill Johnson had to say when he wrote that when we acknowledge each other, we’re acknowledging God just as when we acknowledge the beauty of a painting, we’re acknowledging the owner of the hand that painted it. To say “thanks to us” can include thanks to God. I’m thankful that you’re acknowledging God’s grace in the situation, and I think the original commenter was, too. :)

• Obviously you’re NOT a Christian.

• Dale D Olson says:

Janet, Liberals love to call names. When you dont agree you say you must hate people. They’ll say conservitives have a war against woman. We should argue that liberals Hate babies.
        Liberals are good at preaching what everyone else should do, but i bet you have no plans to take in any refugees yourself.

• Ruben Colon says:

This is a fallacy of logic known as the no true scottsman fallacy. so you are wrong

• Joe Bogue says:

Dale, this has NOTHING to do with what your political beliefs are. Your the only one who has turned it into that, for what reason, I am not sure, other than to rant.

• Jmcoons says:

I would. We are all connected and all have a duty to love and serve each other….even if we die as a result of it.

• Dale D Olson says:

Its easy to talk on a blog. Do you really have plans to volunteer to take refugees into your home.

Dale, I’m going to our local refugee center today to find out how we can help. I would consider it a privilege and an honor to have the opportunity to host a refugee family in our home. I am praying we will be allowed to make that happen.

• mabelbets@@ says:

You know Andrew..the native Americans did just that for YOU!

• Anonymous says:

They didn’t have bombs air strikes, and i,s,i..s…. blending and converting left n right… you cant compare several hundred years ago to now. The technology alone shoots the horse in the face.

2. marco says:

Given that I have lost a family member at the hands of refugee children who grew up to place bombs at the Boston marathon, I pray that your friends and family never go through that pain. But your opposition to those trying to prevent our Government from willingly bringing in some small number of terrorists is numbingly shortsighted.

Marco, I am truly sorry for your loss and I feel unqualified to answer your comment. In the end, when I ask myself the difficult questions, this is what I keep coming back to (from a comment on Jen Hatmaker’s facebook page):

“We cannot let fear negate the calling of Christ to welcome the stranger, feed the hungry, clothe the naked. We cannot love our lives more than we love our Christ. …We are the Church, the body of Christ, and we must respond in that way. The risk has never negated that call. We trust in God. Our citizenship is in heaven. While here, we are His hands and feet ‘to the least of these.'”

Many Germans also lost their lives, in their efforts to protect the Jews. They heard the call and gave their answer. Each of us must decide for ourselves what our answer will be.

• problem with this article is that bringing in Muslim refugees is so different than harboring Jews during the holocaust.. at that point in time they knew Jews were not possibly going to harm them directly these refugees are known now to have caused death and destruction not all maybe just a few but there is a high enough risk for it to be a concern. if I was positive these were all innocent rebels with the same ideals and love and concern for humanity as a whole that I believe I have I wouldn’t hesitate to encourage there entrance into this country and with tax dollars help to stabilize there lives until they could be fully incorporated into American life however that’s just not the case here we are paying for them to come and stay as our guest at our cost with no hope of any return and a high likelihood of an act of terror in return for our generosity it’s not heartless or cowardly it’s intelligence and strategy. We could help with a safe zone if we’re so inclined in their country and with much less of a risk of destroying our own safely and well being.

Birdella, my comparison was directly related to the RISKS involved, not the people. In that respect, the Holocaust was much MORE dangerous than the crisis we’re currently facing. EVERY SINGLE ONE of the Germans who harbored Jews were putting their lives in danger – EVERY SINGLE ONE of them. Their situation was so much more dire than ours today, and yet they sacrificed themselves to save the Jews. Will we do the same?

• Anonymous says:

Read the Old Testament. See how God had his people wipe out enemies and their entire families and everything they owned. Read how he warned His people not to bring those who worship other (false) gods, not to marry them, NOT to allow them in, because to do so would weaken the resolve of God’s own people and wives from these other religions would turn their husbands and children to worship their own gods….which some did in spite of God’s warning…which resulted in God turning away from them. He no longer protected them. He was gone from them, and their disobedience was their demise.

Anonymous, I agree that there were times in the Biblical narrative when a certain society was placed “under the ban” (Joshua 6:17.) Most of those instances were during the establishment of Israel as a Theocracy (Joshua – 1 Samuel.) No Theocratic government exists today, and certainly America is not one. In order to do as you suggest (be a nation set apart from “ungodly” influences,) we’d not only need to wipe out any nation that does not live up to Christian values (in which case someone would surely come against the United States itself), we’d also need to prohibit interracial marriage (Deut 7:2-3,) and start executing homosexuals (Lev 18:22,) those who participate in promiscuity (Lev 20:10, 21:9) and children who rebel against their parents (Deut 21:18-21.) If there is no longer any mandate from God to curse these people, then compassion, charity and love are the only answers. Since our Savior’s Resurrection, we have been called to go into all the nations (Matthew 28:19,) take in the stranger (Hebrews 13,) and lay down our lives so that others may come to know Jesus (Rev 12:11.) I agree that everything you are saying is true, it’s just not contextually appropriate. (And it hardly needs to be mentioned, but I’ll mention it anyway: we’re doing a pretty good job of becoming a corrupt nation all on our own and don’t have much, if anything at all, to fear from the Muslims in that regard. We’re hardly a Nation “holy and set apart,” nor do we seem to want to be.)

• Anonymous says:

Rina i already stated this but I will again Jews weren’t known terrorist they were a peaceful people being attacked Muslim (don’t tell me some Muslims are peaceful read the Quran first and more than the first 100 pages or so if they believe there religion they are dangerous) Syrian refugees are known to be terrorist it’s not out of fear or being compassion-less it’s out of intelligence and whose side I’m on and its the American citizens not the Syrians

I’m not comparing the MUSLIMS to the JEWS, I’m comparing US to the GERMANS. In both cases, the risk was great and we could argue that the risk was greater for the Germans harboring Jews than the Christians harboring Muslims. Even if Syrian refugees WERE known to be terrorists (they’re not, by the way,) the Germans were KNOWN to kill anyone who was sheltering Jews. The risk is the same and I’m asking: what will our response be?

Well put. Thank you.

So true

• Kerum says:

Marco, I am sorry for your loss. However, those who were responsible for the Boston Marathon bombing were not refugees. They came here on vacation visas and then, so they wouldn’t be deported, seeked asylum. A tourist visa is much easier to obtain and has much less involved in background checks, etc than those registered as refugees.

• Kerry says:

Two people. 2.
      Two refugees out of millions that have come into this countries in many generations did a horrible thing. Are You going to hold every refugee responsible for that forever?

I’m very sorry for your loss.

• Jennifer says:

The terrorists who committed the bombing in Boston did not enter the US as refugees. They came to the US on different visas and then applied for political asylum. The screening process is much less stringent than the one being used in UN refugee camps to screen people who would be entering the US as refugees. I would assume that is why most people don’t count those particular terrorists when they say that refugees aren’t committing terrorist acts.

3. Pingback: The Syrian Refugee crisis: we all have a choice to make | Rina Marie

4. David says:

Well what about the millions of Americans that still have no health care? Where is the concern and compassion for them?

That’s a great question, David. Have you ever volunteered to pay for someone’s health insurance? Have I? We keep asking our government to fix the problems and complaining that too much is being placed on it… why don’t we, as citizens, do something to share some of that burden? http://blog.rinamarie.com/2015/11/15/greater-love/

• David, I think we can have concern and compassion for more than one thing. We all have causes dear to our hearts & she addressed your comment before you said it in her post. You can go help Americans without health care, and others can help refugees. We all have causes that effect us differently/that we are passionate about. Should no one help abused animals because there are abused human beings? Compassion for Syrian refugees does not mean she doesn’t care about Americans without health care/homeless Americans, etc. We don’t have a finite amount of compassion within our hearts. Perhaps, if everyone worked together, we could solve both of these issues among others facing the world.

• Anonymous says:

I help pay for the insurance of the poor every paycheck so please dont tell me I dont “help Pay” for their insurance. I am going on 67 years old and work everyday doing a job that you wouldnt dream of doing.
        I am a Vietnam combat veteran I have helped by serving and fighting for freedom Rina have you? We the veterans of the different wars and conflicts have done our part that you how can call us unloving and hard hearted in so many words. How many times have you gone to the VA hospitals and VA nursing homes to offer comfort or a small token of appreciation to those who have paid the price so that you can tell us show compassion. If that isnt love and compassion I dont know what you call it.

No, I have not, Anonymous and I thank you for bringing up yet another way we should be helping/caring for/loving those in need.

I agree with this..

• Anonymous says:

The only reason millions of Americans don’t have health care is because Republican governors and legislatures refuse to expand Mediciad. Money is there from Obamacare, just the Republican states refuse to use it for their poor. No need for volunteers, just need to show up and vote for people who don’t want to punish the poor for the sake of an ideology.

5. americanpatriot2014 says:

you DO know that this photo was NOT what it appeared to be? and yes, most Americans do feel sorry for the refugees but we also love our own families and need to protect them first. When you look at the last count of the refugees brought in so far, there have been 53 Christians among them, the rest muslim — and that is whole can of worms for the American people. We are adopting a needy AMERICAN family — have been feeding the hungry all year — don’t try to make those of us who can see the big picture of the destruction of this country out to be sinners and uncaring………………….

I’m not sure why that matters, americanpatriot2014. As the article itself says: “why does the father’s need for dental treatment change anything about the story of this family’s desperate bid to find a place to resettle? How can anyone conclude from this short interview that the little boy, 3-year-old Alan Kurdi, drowned because his father, Abdullah, needed his teeth fixed? … I fail to see how this tragic story of a war-torn desperate Syrian family trying firstly to seek safe refuge in Turkey, and then to seek a new life somewhere else, is at all demeaned, diminished or changed by the fact that the father also required dentistry.”

• Anonymous says:

Glad someone else can see it for what it is. GOD don’t expect us to open our door to brutal enemies to rape an kill our children like what’s happening in Germany wright now as we discuss this topic.watch the video that’s on Facebook. These so call refugees r taking over , beating women ,men , children An over powering the policeman. That country is in great danger of these refugees that landed there this week. In particle a 7 year old little girl was raped right in public. Is this what some people think we r suppose to sacrifice is our children. No thank you to those that think it’s okay to make those sacrifices. GOD gave us a brain. Use it for common sense.

• If you’re a Christian, God DOES expect that, so you are wrong.

• janet

Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces

watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

Birdella, have you ever read the book End of the Spear? It tells the true story of five American missionaries who attempted to reach the Waodani people in Ecuador. All five of them were murdered. Afterward, the wives and children of those five men moved into the Waodani tribe to tell them about Jesus. The entire tribe became Christians. Can you imagine that for a moment? Not only forgiving the men who killed your husband, but choosing to bring the remainder of your family to live among them, knowing that they may well kill you, too?

This is the kind of courage I see throughout the bible and throughout the history of Christianity. The kind of courage that changes the world, as a handful of disciples 2,000 years ago changed the world.
        Whether the Syrian refugees are like the Jews or not, the question remains: what will our response be? As one person wrote:

“For years and years and years it has been nearly impossible to get missionaries (even sneakily) into parts of the Middle East. It’s so dangerous, some, assuming they can even get in, are likely to be killed so quickly they can’t do much evangelizing. And now, hundreds of thousands of beaten, hurting, orphaned, widowed (google ‘pure and undefiled religion’) and broken people are trying to come to US.”

Whatever their reasons for coming here, we have an unprecedented opportunity to reach people who are in desperate need of Jesus. HOW WILL WE RESPOND?

• Matthew 10:34 – Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword

• as a German, I don’t know what the hell you think you’re talking about. ‘Brutal enemies’ that ‘rape and kill our children’?!? I’d say lets talk this out, but I don’t even know where to start with someone like you…

• Anonymous says:

Maybe the question should be asked how a little girl could get raped in public at all! If it was in public, were there no adults willing to step up and help her? We are very good at looking at things as someone else’s problem and God forbid we let any of THOSE PEOPLE in!
        I say how dare we tell them, “no. I have a good life here. I don’t want you coming here and causing me and mine any problems. No you go back or stay in your war-torn country and live in fear that at any moment someone is going to execute you and your family. I DONT CARE. KEEP YOUR PROBLEMS THERE!”
        Personally, I find that attitude disgraceful. The USA has had a knee jerk reaction to fear and threat before when we rounded up all the Japonese and put them in internment camps. There was one just outside my home town. We destroyed so many lives doing that. The majority of them were citizens and born here and absolutely no threat to us. Today I consider the attitude toward Muslims and the refugees even worse. So I ask the question of those who don’t want any of those refugees here how far would you go to see that they don’t come here. How desperate must they be to pay their life savings, leave all their possessions, bring their pregnant wives, babies and children and load them on a boat that is three times too small for that many people? They know that the chance of getting there alive is not good and if they do make it, they are in an unknown country with nothing but the clothes on their backs and no means of supporting themselves, no food, no shelter but even knowing all that they still try it because even those odds are better than staying in a war-torn country. And yet many of you are saying YOU HAVE TO STAY THERE! This isn’t my war, not my religion. So, how far would you go? If you could sink their boats and guarantee none of them make it here, would you do it?

6. Amber says:

Rina,

This article is one of the most sound I have read on the topic. Thank you for your words! You may already know this but Shannan Martin has a blog, too. From what I’ve read, I think you would love it. She’s so inspiring and raw and true. It’s flowerpatchfarmgirl.com.

Thanks, again!
    Amber

Thank you for letting me know about her blog, Amber! I poked around on yours a little bit, too. :) I’m looking forward to reading more when I have a chance!

• Dale D Olson says:

Liberals are good at telling others how to be Christians, but not apply it to themselves. You’re a hypocrit if you only blog about it and don’t take any refugees in yourself.

• Anonymous says:

So let me get this straight, Dale. If Rina doesn’t actually take in any refugees (which she has said she wants to do and is investigating), she’s a hypocrite.

What are YOU doing to help the least fortunate amongst you?

7. As a pastor, I want to say that this post is exactly right! Wonderful job! I am sharing on my social media sites. Keep up the good work.

8. Serina says:

I love this article it was everything that was on my mind. I appreciate your words for helping me to stay strong in my belief to always help others even when so many are saying not to!

9. CRice says:

Why has this issue of refugees come down to religion? Can you not be a faith driven person and still want the refugees to be vetted before coming to the U.S.? What happened to having common sense WITH compassion? Has the entire world decided that you can only have one or the other? God gave us both, so why can’t we use both?

Crice, I hope you don’t hear me saying that refugees shouldn’t be vetted. I definitely believe they should be, but I also believe that there are no guarantees. About anything. Regardless of how many background checks are run, regardless of how much information is gathered, it is possible that some refugees WILL be terrorists, just as it is possible that yet another school homicide will take place some day (an act of terror not perpetuated by ISIS, nor prevented by closing the borders.) My question is: even knowing this, what should our response be?

• Anony says:

They ARE vetted. Thoroughly. From the time they are proposed as refugees to be resettled in the.U.S., they have to pass a series of security checks that require 1.5 to 2 YEARS to complete, if they are resettled at all. Not all are.

The fear-mongering right wing has grossly misled you, and they’ve done so for no purpose other than their own political gain. They look like the avenging saviours protecting you from harm when they speak as if all someone has to do to get into the U.S. is say they are a refugee and we just let them in. That is not the case. That has never been the case. And those supporting bills that act like it is know that perfectly well. They are DELIBERATELY lying to you to win votes.

Check your facts before you mouth of about the dangers and how reasonable it is to make the process longer for the sake of your safety. It is already an incredibly LONG process. And not one person here on refugee status has ever planned or carried out a terrorist attack on US soil. 3 out of fewer than 300,000 planned an attack outside the U.S. and were folied. Less than .,001% of the people who have cleared the vetting process already in place have proven to even ATTEMPT a terrorist attack. Not one that had been successful and not one even attempted here in the U.S..

Tourist visas and student visas are much easier to ge, so why would terrorists bother going through a hellish two year process to get refugee status?

There may or may not be a need to tighten or border security, but the weaknesses do NOT lie with the refugee program. That’s a red herring used by our own brand of extremists to make you think they are looking out for you by taking potshots at the VICTIMS of the very terrorists you are so afraid of. These refugees are FLEEING ISIS. They have been brutalized and driven from their homes by these people. To accuse them of secretly being terrorists IS akin to calling a Jewish holocaust survivor a secret Nazi. Theoretically possible? In extremely rare cases, yes (it did happen, even in WW2). Likely? Not at all. The refugee program is not an open door, express lane into the U.S. It is a tedious and harrowing process that takes YEARS. Someone who just wants to blow us up would pick one of the much shorter and easier pathways to come into this country temporarily … THEY don’t need refugee status.

President Obama rightly stands for taking in more refugees, not for making the vetting process easier. The handful we’ve taken in over the past 15 years is a fraction of the number of people who live just in my county. That’s pathetically few given the amount of suffering. We can absorb more refugees without any noticable mpact And I would happily welcome them as my neighbors.

Those voting to lock out refugees are using smoke screens and lies for their own gain. All they are doing is giving the extremists ammunition in their efforts to recruit vulnerable children (“where was the west when you needed help? “, ” see, we’ve been telling you all along, they hate you.”) Compassion and kindness lead to friendships. People don’t typically want to hurt their friends. Terrorists are not born from the experience of being truly welcomed into our befriended by a society. They are born from rejection and hated.

Of course the reality is that these refugees will not truly experience welcome when they get here. They will experience intolerance and cruelty by ignorant people who think that because they are different they are a threat. Which is, by the way, the exact mentality of ISIS and it’s bretheran and should have no place in American culture (but it does). If our culture or religion is so fragile that it cannot hold up to encountering other ideas and other ways of life then it SHOULD change. If we have to isolate and protect ourselves from others to maintain our society and beliefs, then our beliefs are flawed. If it is true and right, nothing will subvert it. To suggest that we should purify our religion or our culture to avoid contamination … well now THAT is just un-American. We are a society built on a blending of cultures and religious beliefs. That has never been easy or comfortable, but that is who we are. If you want to see what happens when you try to purify, look at ISIS. Or Hitler. Or the KKK. Is that who we want to be? I hope not.

• Jennifer says:

No one is suggesting that they shouldn’t be vetted. The process for entering the US as a refugee is incredibly detailed, thorough, and can actually take years to complete.

10. Laura says:

2 John 9-11English Standard Version (ESV)

9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, 11 for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.

11. Annie H says:

Why are these people so gung-ho about supporting the “refugees” yet they FORGET ABOUT OUR OWN ORPHANS, POOR, HUNGRY, HOMELESS, AND SICK AND DYING!? Why, WHY, are refugees from ANOTHER COUNTRY more important THAN OUR OWN PEOPLE!? All of you who say we should support the refugees, YOU’RE AN IDIOT AND HYPOCRITE YOURSELF! We need to help OUR’S before we even consider helping THEIR’S. Get a grip, open your eyes and THINK about what you’re saying and doing…

Hi, AnnieH. I don’t know of anyone who is in favor of supporting refugees INSTEAD of our own orphans, poor, hungry, etc. I only know of people (myself included) who believe we can (and should) support both.

• Anonymous says:

Our country is so far in debt it may never get out. Where does the money come from to support more and more people when we haven’t yet learned how to help our veteran’s and women and children on the street? Do we just move the refugees to the front of the line? Put those who are citizens further back? Why…why would we do that? Does it make us look better, as a people, to help poor refugees while we ignore our own? Does it make us feel better? It doesn’t make me feel better. Our country is currently a disaster. Have you not noticed? We have to clean up this mess our homeland has become before we can go inviting guests to come in. We can’t even take care of each other! We’re too busy dividing our nation…race, religion, politics. The only thing we’re doing well is fighting against each other. It’s all a part of someones plan…and it’s working out quite well. We are constantly arguing about something. If we can’t get on the same page and become united again, we have nothing to offer anyone. God help us.
        How can you compare the Jews to the Muslims? That is such an unfair account. This is ‘One nation UNDER GOD’! Or, at least, it WAS. Taking under your wing and putting your life on the line for other people who believe in God is quite a different matter than harboring those who abhor God and Christianity. Not only that, but missionaries go to other countries to selflessly put their lives on the line to take the gospel to those who are hungry to hear it. It’s their choice. Some are called. Germans hid Jews because they were completely innocent and were willing to take the chance….it was their choice. We are given no choice. We are like the Jews…sheep to be slaughtered. The Germans who were brave enough and good enough to hide Jews weren’t hiding Nazi’s. Nor did they have to fear there might be one pretending to be a Jew. There is no comparison applicable.
        And why would you accuse your own people of ‘being part of the problem’ when they don’t think as YOU do? Maybe YOU’RE the one who should take a closer look within. Maybe you should spend more time in prayer asking for holy guidance and direction. Maybe YOU are the one going the wrong direction.

• Anonymous says:

Are you doing anything to help our own? If not, did you read this?

• Dale D Olson says:

If this outcry is genuine about these refugees. Why are they not calling to bring in Christians from Africs that are being killed by the millions.

• Donna says:

Not to mention our defunct mental health system which would probably include all of the above.. For each refugee family an American host family is needed to fulfill their economic needs, housing, clothing, education,religious requirements, and not depend on goverment assistance programs. We set up safe compounds in foreign lands to help the 3rd.world but are unable to set up safe compounds on our own country in dangerous areas. Meander through a VA hospital and check out the number of the folks there to simply comfort and listen to the lonely. Very few, then check out the number of staff pecking on their cell phones. Ever check out the educational qualifications of staff at orphanages in America,All of the orphanages. Ever check out who is in charge of many of the college and university computer security systems Ever check out the colleges that you can get an associate degree from and then teach our children, I mean exactly what courses are needed to graduate.. Whats going on with the outrageous college fees? Where is all of that money really going, to coaches, deans, or to help students.Of course some goes to exchange students who never return to their country to help the their people, instead bring their relatives over. I could expound on many more issues,but think I have left enough for some thought. Nothing is set in stone, I love America, I love people and I especially love children and animals. Actually I have no answers, just food for thought. One last thought, FIX our mental health system and understand that the mentally ill do not often make the best decisions for our nation.

12. Anonymous says:

Have you seen the videos of the poor helpless refugees rioting and destroying the streets in Europe? That’ll happen here. We need to protect Americans, these refugees are just a Trojan horse for ISIS or any other terrorists. ISIS has even said they are going to plant ISIS members in with the refugees. They have literally said this. If they do that, who knows how many can get to America. Who knows how many Americans will die.

• Janet says:

Completely agree. First time one of these supporters have their Christian child raped, their brother head Chopped off, watch how fast they change their feelings.

Janet, do you know of anyone who lost loved ones in order to save the Jews and later came to regret it? Do you know of any missionaries who have given everything, and later came to wish they hadn’t? It seems to me that those who willingly risk their lives to save those of others don’t often come to regret it.

13. Christie says:

Thank you for writing this. My mind and heart has been torn to pieces trying to come to terms with how I feel about this. I read all the negative posts about how wrong it is to take in these refugees but I continue to go back to God’s word. When we truly take up the cross and follow Him it does not mean to stay within our four walls of our homes or our churches, it means getting dirty. Sure, that might even mean death and it has for countless people who have put God first. I, by no means, have done anything comparable to those who risk life to do mission work or go to the “bad” part of the city to spread the love of Christ, but I feel the calling to help these people in some way. I cannot sit aside and do nothing and hope this will go away. What if it was me and my family? Maybe by helping these people we can spread the love Christ has for them. Isn’t it after all what we are supposed to do when we accept Christ in our heart is to GO. Sure, I am scared, but I know a Father who will protect me from evil and if I die helping another person, then I die for Him!

14. Pingback: Here We Go… | Teylor Schiefelbein

15. Christie L says:

Absolutely beautifully written and so very well said. I believe in my heart completely that this is what God wants. Jesus is in the risk. Faith is about stepping out of our comfort zone and trusting Him. Thank you for saying what I wanted to say but couldn’t find the words! 😊

• Ellen says:

“Jesus is in the risk”– BEAUTIFUL! You nailed it! I’m guilty of inaction (and fear, and uncertainty, and plenty of other non-helpful stuff). But YES, this this this! Thank you for that exact phrasing.

16. Ana says:

Thank you! We are looking to sponsor a family this Christmas, and have donated to some of the best organizations helping the refugees. Never in my life have I been in such a position to help in a crusis like this, and I am determined my children will learn what it means to have compassion and love in the face of fear.

17. jimhinkle says:

Thank you; this is very well written. Why do you think the US “Christians” were silent in 2011 when our Government stopped taking Iraqi refugees for 6 months? Why do you think the US “Christians” were silent when our President turned away Christian refugees this year? Why such outrage now simply because many object to “fast track” approval of the Syrian refugees and are asking for more in-depth vetting? The only difference I note is political, but maybe I am missing something. Not being accusatory, just really trying to prayerfully come to terms with all of this. Were you convicted to write this when we turned away Christians this year? Thanks again and here’s to hoping we all do what Christ asks of us and what Jesus demonstrated.

Hi, jimhinkle, first of all, I truly hope that my post doesn’t speak “outrage” but shouts “compassion.” To answer your question: I did not speak out about it then because I didn’t know about it then (to my own shame.) Or at least, that’s what I like to tell myself. In truth, I don’t know whether I would have been ready to speak out about it, even had I known. God has been taking me through a very powerful, very painful process. It’s overwhelming and terrifying and absolutely heartbreaking and wonderful beyond words. I am NOT unafraid. I am not brave. I stand before Jesus as a coward, praying that He will raise up in me a holy passion – that He will make me brave… that He will do whatever He has to do to bring me to the place where I count my life as nothing and am truly willing to lay it down for Him. That’s a scary prayer, and right now I can only pray it with about 45% of my heart, but I’m speaking the words, confident that He will honor the cry of that part of my heart that loves Him well.

18. ryan says:

Love. These words are timely, true, and terrible. They are my sentiments exactly. The situation we are in saddens me as I watch Christians, wait, no, “Christians” rail against these refugees and the thought of them finding a haven among us. Thank you.

19. Anonymous says:

A human being is a human being and it could be like the movie Day After Tomorrow where US citizens were crossing into Mexico to escape freezing.and were allowed for the most part. Agreed more needs to be done to cure poverty here and make sure everyone has at least one meal per day. We need every American to get up and help out…myself included. I do know that some of the refugees nay not be the best citizens, but that happens within the US too.

O

20. HEIDI says:

I would do exactly what my German gradmother did. She was part of the underground that helped Jewish and Gypsies get out of Germany. I was born in 1946 and witnessed people come to her and thank her. She took me in a mixling German mother Afro-American GI father. Many of the people she helped left their children with her while they found shelter and jobs. From her I learned that all people suffer and need help even if just one does what they can.

21. Anonymous says:

Didn’t jesus say love thy neighbor as thy self.

22. lynne98 says:

Powerful & very well written.

23. They have 15-25% of their country is bad/terrorist. Why isn’t the other 75% fighting back? Let 25% of America try and be terrorist and run this country like they do theirs. See how fast that stops.

• Anony says:

You mean like the Tea Party? We are doing a bag up job of fighting that idiocy and that just requires voting, with no real risk to ourselves. We stand by while they destroy the Republican Party, paralyze this country and do nothing constructive. They have rigged the district boundaries to give themselves a disproportionate amount of power and we’ve done nothing. The Koch Brothers have poured obscene accounts of money into buying elections and we’ve done nothing. Yet you condemn the VICTIMS of ISIS for not putting their lives on the line to fight back against obscene and utterly uncompassionate brutality and imply that it must be because they secretly agree? They don’t want their families brutalized and tortured so they must be terrorists themselves? That is an incredibly uncompassionate thing to say. Americans are so spoiled. Most of us wouldn’t know persecution if it bit us in the backsides, but we are sure happy to see ourselves as its victims and then sit in judgment of its true victims and find them lacking for not risking as much as we think they should (though we never would). Would you risk your daughters being kidnapped, brutally trapped and sold into slavery it your sons being kidnapped, brainwashed and forced to fight to stand up to men who would behead you without thinking twice? I seriously doubt it. And until you have, you have NO place from which to sit in judgment of the people fleeing or ducking rather than fighting. Be glad YOU are lucky enough to have been born in a place where you don’t have to make that choice. I guess we should just shrug our shoulders and turn away, leaving those who were not to their fates. Too bad for them. They should just fight back and be slaughtered. That would solve their problem, right?

24. Christy says:

I am sorry I don’t want another 9 11 or Paris. These are people who believe and live their religion. Boston bombers were refugees. Save our ways of life.

• Jen says:

No, they weren’t. The Boston Bombers were here on student visas and then extended their stay by requesting asylum. Our process for those two things is much, much easier than our 1.5 to 2 years vetting process for refugees.

25. Courtney says:

Although I agree with much that you say, I find it somewhat irritating that you say America stood by during the Holocaust. My grandpa, and many others, sacrificed their lives trying to free the people being tortured oversees. My brother, and many others, risk their lives currently fighting for freedom. Also, if people want to help, let them. The problem that I see is when government forces people to use their money to provide. Nothing is free. I try to do my part to help those in need. I’m sure I could do more, and you’ve inspired me to start contributing greater, but forced charity isn’t charity at all.

Courtney, thank you for your response and I apologize if I was insensitive. In saying that America stood by, I refer to America as a culture and as a government body. We refused hundreds of thousands of Jews entry into our country during the holocaust, for the same reason we are refusing the Syrians today: fear. The fears were different, but there nonetheless. Just as there were many brave, amazing Germans who sacrificed their lives to save the Jews, there were amazing Americans who also made that sacrifice and yours is a beautiful heritage rooted in such sacrifice. You should be (and I’m sure you are) very proud.

• Anony says:

This country stood by for years and did nothing. It was “not our problem.” We even fought over taking in Jewish refugees We did, eventually, join the fight and tip the scales due to the heroism and sacrifice of people like your grandfather. That does not negate the years we didn’t, pretending it wasn’t really that bad so we didn’t have to get involved. That takes nothing from the heroism of those who stepped up when we finally stepped in. Every man and woman who fight in WWII is a hero. And the US has every right to be proud of its role in ending that horror. But, this country was VERY late to join the fight, and THAT should be to our collective shame.

26. Anonymous says:

The Bible also says we should stone out wife if she isn’t a virgin at the time of marriage. It also says not to divorce. It also says homosexuality sends you to hell. Jesus also says that we aren’t perfect and to repent for our transgressions. I hate how “Christians” pull out Bible verses to serve their stance on a topic. You can’t pick and choose which verses you want to live by and say everyone else is a false Christian for not living by your standards.

Anonymous, I truly hope that my article did not give the impression that I’m calling anyone a “false” Christian for not “living up to my standards.” If so, I deeply apologize. For one thing, they’re not MY standards at all. For another, up until recently I wasn’t ready or willing to bring Syrian refugees into my home, either, and I certainly wouldn’t have called myself a “false Christian” because of it. But I wouldn’t have called myself a “disciple” either (http://blog.rinamarie.com/2015/11/18/the-syrian-refugee-crisis-we-all-have-a-choice-to-make/) And you know what? THAT’S OKAY. Sometimes we’re not ready to be disciples. Sometimes Jesus has to take us through a process to make us ready. Some of us may never even get there. It’s not my place to judge anyone else’s Christianity and this post was certainly not an attempt to do so on my part. But I don’t think we gain anything by refusing to ask ourselves the hard questions and refusing to acknowledge the truth. We ARE afraid. Refusing to admit it doesn’t make it go away. The question is: what (if anything) will we do about it?

• Anonymous says:

I would say your are insinuating that if you aren’t for bringing refugees in that one really isn’t a “disciple” either. That somehow you have gone through a growing process that if we disagree we must not have gone through that process yet. I think this is actually going to lead to another Holocaust where many more people die.

Jesus says that unless we’re willing to lay everything down for Him, we cannot be His disciples. What that means may look different for different people (ie. we can’t ALL take in refugees just as we can’t ALL be missionaries to China just as we can’t ALL run orphanages in Africa.) Disciples, as I see it, are called to do one thing and one thing only: follow where He leads, no matter the cost. That, I do believe, often requires a growing process.

27. Ryan Buchanan says:

Rina, excellent article. Why this isn’t being preached out of every pulpit across America is beyond me.

28. Pingback: Build Walls, Gaurd them, Eliminate any threat from the Orphans and the Widows | Spiritual Enrichment

29. Pingback: The part that loves Him well | Rina Marie

30. Anonymous says:

Says 10,000 children
    Not accurate at all
    That’s the problem

This is purposed plot against our country and there will be many more casualties on our own soil as a result of this political nonsense

It’s not the government’s job to do this. It’s their job to protect and serve those of us who are already citizens

That’s why this is all wrong
    They are using taxpayer monies stolen from American working citizens to do all of this

Should we help them? Yes!! But we must band together as the church and do it face to face so we know who we are actually dealing with. The only true screening process is for us to have a real relationship with them and even then the point is to win them to Christ regardless of the cost.

However, far too many of these so called refugees are actually coming here on assignment and our muslim pres is walking them down our main streets and into our homes without our permission

Your analogy about Nazi germany is an inaccurate twist

A better comparison would be to compare those who welcome the refugees to those who blindly open the door for Stalin’s armies to execute the jews in their homes

The president that you see grandstanding against the 2nd amendment every time there’s a shooting is the exact same president who has been arming these terrorists since the beginning of his first term

There are in fact countless theological reasons why you’re little article here is nearsighted at best. There’s more to this story than what you’ve been told in the news and if you want to know what’s really going on just do a little research

• Anonymous says:

I agree and find it interesting that there was no response from the author of this article. We as the United States no longer exists. We are divided in everything. A nation divided will never stand.

I think each person should have a right to choose their life path. If you want to help refugees great. If you don’t that should be a choice. Why should our government make that decision. Their purpose is to preserve this country. To allow its citizens to have a voice and to protect them. It is our job as citizens to make a choice for ourselves how to spend our lives. If you choose to spend it in service to those who need help then that’s your choice.

Why is this even a discussion for our government. Their sole purpose is to protect the United States meaning its citizens and in-act laws that ensure a prosperous nation. Instead all we have done as a nations is to continually divide ourselves. We have made choices that are leading us down a path of unsustainable ideals.

We can not feed and care for our own. We allow anyone to come into this country without educating them on our nations history, beliefs and laws. If any person wants to belong to a group do we not expect the new person to understand what that group stands for. Do we not expect them to follow all the same rules as the other members? Should this not apply to any anyone who wants to live in this nation? I believe anyone who is willing to be bound by the laws of the US, to give up anything that is contrary to US Law, should be allowed into this country as a citizen. But for these individuals to make this decision, they have to be educated on what our laws are and what it en-tales to be a US citizen.

When you help someone, what do you hope to see happen? I hope to see lives enriched, hope restored, self-worth increase. I hope to see an individual wants to learn to be self sufficient and once this is accomplished to do the same for another.

There are many families in the US that are struggling to make ends meet. More taxes and more people living off the system (pd for by those taxes) .This is not sustainable for the number we have now. Economically adding more into the system doesnt make sense.

I dont think there is a government based solution to this problem. The fighting will continue and there will always be persecution. Does that mean we should do nothing. No those called to action should go to help in any way they see fit. The answer isn’t to bring massive numbers here to a struggling nation of division and economic unrest.

31. Ellen says:

Rinamarie, I almost NEVER comment on blogs, but you wrote EXACTLY EXACTLY what has been roiling around in my own head. Thank you so very much. Am I still confused, and unsure somewhat? Yes– but what you wrote is precious. I’m going to take a long time to read all you’ve written and the responses, but I believe you nailed it as far as what we are commanded to do as Christians. Personally I need to do a lot more praying and a lot less talking about this. But God touched me through you.

Ellen, thank you for your beautiful words. They encouraged me this morning. I pray that God will make the way clear for you.

32. Dale D Olson says:

This well written propaganda.

33. Dale D Olson says:

Why weren’t making the same cry to bring in Christians from Africa who are being killed by the millions. They are actually more similar to the Jews situation.
    The holocust was different also they took Jews in to keep them from getting killed. The fear of bringing refugees in is fear of them, not those forcing them out.
    Also in your argument the foreigners were already there amoung them. The foreigners were also expected to follow the laws of the land. In many cases they were also told to expel foreigners and rid them from the land because they were spreading peganism.

Dale, I answered this question elsewhere in the comments section. The short answer: Much to my shame, I didn’t know. And if I had known… I don’t know whether I would have been ready. Jesus has been taking me through a refining process and it has not been quick or easy. There is still much for Him to do in me.

34. Dale D Olson says:

We’ll get the chance to hide Jews in our homes again if this happens. They’ll kill th.em first.

35. Anonymous says:

I think this is a shamelessly manipulative article. You are saying your are the supreme expert in this area and if we do not believe the way you think we are Nazis. That is the basic premise. Shaming people for wanting to look at alternate ways to help the Syrian refugees. Why are there so many healthy young men in this group?? Why are they not fighting for their homeland? Why are only the Muslim refugees considered? Will they assimilate or want us to follow their laws? I would gladly help in any way but I do not think we should foolishly open the flood gates and let potential terrorist in. I am fully Christian but God gave us a brain and we should use it. The world can be a horrible place but this is not yet Nazi Germany, we are the good guys and our safety should be considered in all this.

36. Dale D Olson says:

Rina, I agree we need to show compassion to these refugees. Comparing this to the Holocaust is a weak analogy. The Christian Serians are in similar situation because they are targeted for their faith. The rest for the most part are caught in the crossfire. They would be more similar to the German citizens who never chose to be in the middle of a war zone.
    The reports I see say most of the refugees are men. Also that the ones filing for asylum in the US have already made it to Europe so they aren’t in this dire situation you describe.

37. Tim says:

If you want to use Scripture to manipulate people into letting a snake into the garden, then scripturally, Jesus told you to Go into all the world and preach the Gospel. You have a heart for the Syrians. Go to them where they are and preach the Gospel. Remember not everyone in America is a Christian and can not be forced to do things because it is the “Christian” thing to do. If one of these ‘refugees’ were to carry out a terrorist attack and kill an unbeliever before they had a chance to repent then that person would spend an eternity in hell. Terrorist will not kill other terrorist they agree with so it is better for them to stay where they are at. Help the refugees start a revolution against terrorist in their own country. It is the best chance for changing the world. If people only run from the problem, evil wins.

38. Brad says:

I agree, we should help them. Let’s have them move into your neighborhood first to test things out, then we can expand.

39. Anonymous says:

Lebanon was once a Christian nation and they tried this and brought in refugees many times when other Muslim nations would not. Here is a link of a lady from Lebanon that explains it;

40. Active Duty says:

Why must religion always be used as a weapon basically when debating a person’s opinion? How many politicians we support a lifestyle better than ours that mutilate the constitution for personal gain are taking in refugees into their homes? The issue of the father needing dental work, he and many prisoners will get dental work while the elderly and poor Americans will do without. Welcoming refugees into your homes and our country while putting my family at risk is not your right nor do I give you permission to possibly open my family to slaughter because “God” tells me to. This has to be the same God who has taken so many of my family away from us in the most painful horrible ways, and I am to find comfort in his words, and you want me and others to go by his teachings?

Active Duty, I certainly have no desire to use religion as a weapon, my intention was and always is to share my heart and call myself out on my own hypocrisy.

41. D.S. Smith says:

How DARE you use the term Holocaust even in passing reference to what is happening with the Syrians. Speaking as a Jewish person I cannot even begin to tell you how inappropriate this is. I couldn’t even read your article because of the reference.

• Molly says:

It’s too bad you didn’t finish reading it, because you would have found out her analogy was about Germans and Americans, not Jews and Syrians.

Rina, what you wtoe was excellent, and I’ll keep you in prayer as you continue this challenging, but hopefully fruitful, discernment.

• Jen says:

You commented on something you didn’t read? You decided it was awful based on a label without ever bothering to learn what was inside? That sounds … familiar, and reminds me that once again, history teaches us nothing, even when we should be the most thoughtful students. Regardless, she never compared Syrians and Jewish people – had you gotten past the label you would have read that.

42. Active Duty says:

Why when there is a difference of opinion the religion card is played? This God you called about has taken many of my family from me in horrific ways, good, generous loving people who practiced religion faithfully. This is the same God I am supposed to seek solace and comfort from and go by “his” words to open my doors to terrorism? The father that needed dental work will, as many prisoners and other illegals will get dental care while many Americans will be denied it because that’s the way it works. How many politicians living the high life and twisting our constitution to suit their greedy self righteous lifestyle on our hard earned money are taking in a family, American or foreign unless it is for publicity? They have and can afford security thanks to us and hire thanks to us, people to care for whoever they take into their home (generally for press purpose). Debate this matter or make your point without religion, that would be interesting. You do not the right nor my permission to shove religion down my throat to prove your point on this issue or to put my family in harms way.

43. Active Duty says:

This debate on this issue would hold more validity with myself if it could be debated/discussed without religion. How interesting would that be? I am supposed to live by the words and love this God I grew up with that has taken family away from me in the most horrific ways then turn to him for comfort and solace in my time of need? Don’t think so, so please stop preaching his word and talk one to one about this issue. I do not bring my lack of faith into my debate of this, I bring myself and my desire to protect my family and help those in America into my opinion. The father who needed dental work? He will get it as do murderers in prison while elderly go without unless they can afford a rider on top of medicare and prescription drug costly policies, veterans only get help because others have started charitable programs because our government is foolishly spending our money to look good to other countries, social programs for mentally ill and foster children will continue to be ignored and fall apart because the funding is taken from them and children will continue to die and be abused and the mentally ill will live on the street to be killed or starve or freeze to death because of their greedy hands.How many politicians who have security and can afford to hire help, on our money, are taking in a family? The only time they do is when it is a good photo op. They live the high life on our money all the while ripping our constitution to shreds to serve their purpose, kind of the same way I view the religion stance of this matter. Let’s try dropping the race and religion issues when discussing this and just talk person to person you don’t preach God to me and I won’t preach lack of faith.

Hi, “Active Duty,” it is impossible for me to have this conversation outside of my faith. My faith makes up everything about who I am.

44. canyon2014 says:

Thank you for writing this Rina. I have stopped trying to convince the ignorant and afraid on this topic. But I was so touched by your writing I thought I would share this with you and any other person–Christian or otherwise–reading your blog about having faith.

See, I am not a Christian, I am a Jew. I was raised hearing the stories of how many have risen in each generation to eliminate the Jewish people. 6 million exterminated in the Holocaust with the tacit help of the German people and the rest of the world. **AND** 6 million OTHER people as well. The world let 12 million people die because of the evil of one man. In fact, our annual tradition of holding a Passover seder is specifically to teach our children the story of the Exodus to remind our children of how God delivered us from Egypt and how faith in God was the key to our freedom.

I would like to share a story with you that I am uncertain is known well outside the Jewish circle. There is a story told among Jews at Passover about a man named Nachshon (“nack-shone”). The Jews had been freed from Egypt and found Pharaoh and his army were now chasing them to bring them back to Egypt. They were trapped…Pharaoh and his army closing in on one side, the Red Sea on the other. They began to panic…certain that God had abandoned them to be killed by the Egyptians. They immediately lost faith. ONE MAN among them — Nachshon — had faith that God would keep his promise to deliver them…surely, God did not bring them out of Egypt and take them this far, caring for their needs just to deliver them BACK into the hands of death? So…one man did an incredible thing…he jumped into the Red Sea. And immediately, God split the sea to clear the way for ALL of the Jews to pass to safety, burying their Egyptian oppressors in the Red Sea after them.

So my reason for sharing this story with you is to show you that we cannot know whose act of faith or kindness will bring about the miracle of God. All we can know is that we must have faith. If not ONE person at the Red Sea had shown faith, they would ALL have perished. So even if you feel like you are alone in your belief that you must help — know that even if you act alone — YOUR act of faith could be the one that saves everyone else without.

Thank you again for your beautiful words. They speak volumes of inspired wisdom from your heart and soul. Do not worry about trying to answer those that criticize or have no faith or subvert the Bible to support their own views (or even abandon it). You could be the one person that turns the tide for all.

XOXO

45. Anonymous says:

I have no problem feeding. Clothing. Basic needs. But to have syria would be like the jews asking hitler to move in with them.

46. Sue says:

I’ve been saying the same about the fb memes that say we can’t take refugees if there are homeless veterans out there. Hello!! If that’s how you feel, don’t whine to me until you have brought a vet home with you to live in your guest room and share meals with him.

47. Alissa says:

Scripture taken out of context is continuously the “weapon of choice” of many when it comes to trying to make a point concerning the current debate. Again, comparing the refugees to the Son of God is once again a shallow, narrow, and irrational comparison and Jesus was part of God’s divine plan for humankind.

Jesus was not a refugee. The Bible and Jesus Christ himself and his life was no mistake. Every occurrence in His life was part of a divine plan. When people reference Matthew 2:13 in which an Angel warns Joseph to flee to Egypt, this again was part of God’s divine plan for the life of Jesus. King Herrod knew there was something significant about Jesus, wether he believed or knew he was the Christ or not, he wanted him dead. That is why he issued the decree for all children under the age of two to be killed, in hopes that Jesus would be killed. This is why many erroneously use this as “Jesus was a refugee”. To say Jesus was a refugee is a misinterpretation. Fleeing from ISIS? Refugee. God leading and guiding your every step? Divine intervention.

Now, God loves all mankind. He made us all in His image and likeness. Jesus, God’s son, died on the cross for all of mankind. Salvation is freely available to all, but must be received and
    accepted. To say “Jesus is with the refugees” is also a false statement unless they have received and accepted His gift of salvation. That’s Bible. Not man. Pure Bible salvation.

• Jen says:

I”m not sure of your point. Are you saying that because Jesus was not a refugee but instead part of a Divine plan, then people shouldn’t help the Syrian refugees because they are refugees in the classic sense rather than merely part of a Divine plan? Even if one doesn’t see Jesus as a refugee, refusing to help people in danger because they are not part of a Divine plan and/or Christians doesn’t really sit very well with Jesus’ teaching. But I may be misinterpreting your statements.

48. Pingback: “They” | Rina Marie

49. Joe says:

Bless you, Rina! These people responding so negatively are among the worst of humanity. They couldn’t care less about Christs message, and do not even deserve a response.

50. Anonymous says:

During ww2 we went in and ended the Holocaust and killed nazis.

51. Stephany says:

I personally have never taken in a refugee but I have taken in many young adults who have list their parents and who have no one to lean on I have had good and bad experiences but I still do it to this day I have fed and clothed children who had no one encourage them to be productive citizens to go to school and college. I ask for nothing in return all I tell them is it does my heart good to see them succeed in life. If I can save and help these children that is all that matters to me . I would only hope that if something was to happen to me or my husband that someone good and upstanding would take my children in and help them thrive

52. Anonymous says:

Well I was agreeing what you were saying until you put interacial marriage and homosexuality into the same category!!!

53. Anonymous says:

Rina – your insights are right on! Thank you so much for sharing. Both my husband and I have thought of some of the same scripture passages as you mentioned which seem to speak directly to this current situation. We would help if we could, but I don’t know the current process. In times of crisis in the past churches have “sponsored” refugee families in the resettlement process and I would love to have such an opportunity now. We don’t have to actually have them LIVE in the same house to extend the hand of help and friendship – some folks like to take it to the extreme to support their position.

Anonymous, try searching google for your closest refugee office, and if you can’t find one near you, I know of one near me who would be happy to have any help you can give! You mentioned that “some folks like to take it to the extreme” and that we don’t actually have to have refugees live in our homes and I wanted to share this with you….

I don’t write that to convince you to take refugees into your home (I believe you’re right, we all have different assignments from God, regarding this and other matters) but just because I felt your heart on the matter and wanted to share that with you.

54. Anonymous says:

How sick are you to use a picture of a dead child to get people to read your post. Yes, there are children fleeing with their parents, but by taking them in we are putting OUR country and OUR children at risk. They grow up and learn to hate us like their parents do. If they come here the future of America will forever change.

For those who come here outside of facebook and don’t know what Anonymous is talking about: One of the images originally posted here was of a young boy who lost his life when his family attempted to cross the Mediterranean Sea, fleeing his homeland. I ended up changing that picture, concerned about it’s appropriateness, but for some reason I cannot stop it from still posting to facebook whenever the link is shared. Having said that, however, I think we do ourselves (and everyone else) an injustice by turning a blind eye and pretending that horrific things like this aren’t happening. I hope you’ll take a moment to view the video that is posted at the beginning of this article. Families are fleeing in tiny blow-up rafts, packed like sardines to cross the ocean. They’re losing their lives, and the lives of their children, by the thousands.

55. John Grieten says:

You need to petition the Saudi king, who has 100,000 unused air-conditioned tents which can house millions, and ask him why HE hasn’t taken a single refugee.

• canyon2014 says:

Because Saudi, Jordan, and other countries hate Syrians. Just because they are all Arab nations, it does not mean they all are the same. Just like even in America we still have whites that hate blacks, Christians that hate Jews, etc. They suffer the same. Discrimination against Syrians would exist in those countries. They don’t want them. Same reason why Palestinians have no homeland. They have been expelled from all the Arab countries around Israel.

It is true that Saudi hasn’t taken any refugees, but neighboring countries (including Jordan) have taken in MILLIONS of refugees. In Egypt, refugees don’t even live in camps. “Egyptian billionaire Naguib Sawiris, one of the region’s wealthiest men, has offered to buy an island for refugees. He would like to buy an isle from Greece or Italy. His name for the proposed island home: Hope.”

Amen to that, I hope he succeeds.

56. Anonymous says:

I’d be happy to help a family but all I’ve seen are photos of young males. Strange to me.

• canyon2014 says:

Because that is what the media wants to show you. Of the 10,000 refugees assigned to come to the US, 2% are males between 25 & 59. The rest are women, children, and elderly. Research. The actual statistics are there. Don’t rely on photos alone to inform you.

• Molly says:

Really? Where have you been looking? You don’t have to tell me, I can guess from your other comments. You’ve made it clear you don’t want anything to do with Syrian refugees. That’s fine. Why do you keep reading this, just to add your angry and bitter comments? Surely you have more productive ways of using your time. I’m not trying to shut you down, it doesn’t bother me to read a variety of different opinions, but I think it does bother you, so why do you keep coming back?

Rina, this is one of the best things I’ve read on the subject; I’ll keep you in prayer as you continue to discern. I admire your courage in being able to say you don’t know the answers but are trusting in God.

• adriane says:

According to World Vision – over 50% of the refugees from Syria are children.

57. Anonymous says:

Thank you! Well said.

58. Anonymous says:

I am a compassionate person. I do help my fellow Americans by donating and volunteering. However, I bare in mind the facts that it only took 19 to bring down the towers on 9/11 and 8 to commit the attacks in Paris. It only takes a few to do harm. I don’t need my faith or my religion questioned or pushed. My heart, spirit and mind are clear of guilt when I say I do not want to bring them here. We can help them by taking our resources and building a safe zone in their on country or help in finding them places in their own territory the Middle East. We need to respect each other and stop being angry and find a solution that doesn’t add to the heartache already on our own shores.

59. Anonymous says:

60. kri says:

Harboring jews in Germany versus taking them in to America as refugees would have been 2 different things. So instead of using the one which offered the worst consequences in an attempt to lessen appearance of the possibilities of negative consequence due to taking in refugees, let’s compare the two equal situations which would be taking Jewish refuses into America versus taking Syrian refugees in america. The Jewish refugees offered no consequences of violent terror attacks, in looking at the numbers of refugees fleeing Germany at the time there were more women and children, which is not the case with the Syrian refugees. I take issue with the fact that you say that the possibility of harboring a terrorist would be small, no one can state what chance we run if we take in refugees, however one thing can be said for sure, I have no issue with parting with the money to take care of a refugee but in regards to my child’s and husbands safety no risk is worth taking. Why willingly take a risk which has proven to be dangerous

61. Also anonymous says:

I don’t know who made that refugee quote at the end of your rant, but it’s false, as every survivor of the Boston Marathon bombing knows. Even if it were true, it wouldn’t prove that no refugees ever would become terrorists.

62. Neil Samuels says:

Once it was proven that they had no hostile intent, I would be happy to help, sponsor, clothe, ect a family of refugees. The problem is, there is a 1 in 4 chance that in doing so, I would end up with my throat slit during the night. These are not the Jews during the holocaust. The Jews didn’t kill 150 French on their way out of Europe. The Jews didn’t kill 5,000 Americans in New York by flying airplanes into them. The Jews didn’t down a civilian airliner. the Jews don’t strap bombs to their babies and explode them in marketplaces. All of the above the Syrians either did or assisted with. Not all of them. But enough to be wary of them, and to take extra time to research each one before allowing admission into this country. Please don’t compare these people to the Jews. Compare apples to apples — not tires.

1 in 4??? Where are you getting your information, Neil? The American refugee program has been in place since 1975. In that time, we have been home to over three million refugees and not one – NOT ONE – has ever committed a terrorist act on US soil. Of the 859,629 refugees admitted since 2001, only three have been convicted of planning terrorist attacks (on targets outside of the United States,) and none was successfully carried out. That is one terrorism-planning conviction for every 286,543 refugees that have been admitted. That’s over 200,000 desperately hurting people to every ONE terrorist. To put that in perspective, about 1 in every 22,541 Americans committed murder in 2014.

63. Pingback: Controversy and Counter Terrorism: Random Acts of Violence versus Random Acts of Love | Spiritual Enrichment

64. adriane says:

A beautiful thoughtful post. Thank you.

65. adriane says:

Reading through the responses I am struck by the stark difference of posts that come from fear vs post that come from love.

66. shannan says:

I am all for letting women and children in, then allow the men to return to their country to fight for it. By just leaving, they are turning over their country and asking others to fight for it

Shannan, you seem to be insinuating that these men are cowards for not staying behind to fight for their country, but I have to wonder: If your family were the ones in need of refuge, would you want to leave your husband behind? With all the trauma your children would have already endured, would you want to compound that by sacrificing their father? If it were your husband, how comfortable would he be putting his wife and his babies on a raft to face the challenges of a sea crossing and life in a new country, alone? Those who say this act as if the Syrian men are soldiers in this war, but we’d do well to remember that civilians don’t have access to weapons and have virtually no way to get them. Should these men stay behind to fight with sticks and rocks while their families face the unknown, alone? I fail to see the love in asking them to do so.

67. Pingback: Echoes in Eternity | And the Road Goes Ever On

68. Naomi says:

Don’t tell me not to post about the poor! And don’t question what I do to help and say I’m part of the problem! Why don’t you be part of the solution and put them up in your town and community instead of telling everyone else what we should be doing!

Naomi, I’m telling you that you are part of the problem if you post about the poor but don’t actually DO anything for them (Fact: I’ve been part of the problem, too.) If you are ACTIVELY CARING for the poor around you than by all means, please continue to raise awareness! As I said in my article, you follow your heart and others will follow theirs and together we’ll make a difference.

69. Anonymous says:

One thing, The Jews were innocent victims, not harming anyone. They were just there. Isis is running around killing innocent people. You are comparing apples and oranges here. Isis isn’t anything like the Jews were at the time of Hitler, they are Hitler!!!

Again, I’m not comparing the refugees to the Jews, I’m comparing US to the GERMANS who stood by and did nothing. But I urge you to stop talking about ISIS when referring to refugees. Refugees are not members of ISIS. Furthermore, it is much easier for terrorists to gain entry into our country through other channels than to gain entry through the refugee process, as exemplified by those who orchestrated the bombing at the Boston Marathon (who were NOT refugees.)

• D.L. says:

What will you do with the irresponsibility of this view if Muslims take over our country and outpopulate us in 40 years and change your entire system of government?

That is their stated goal, do you disbelieve them?
        Our intelligence shows proof that this is why they were recruited, yes recruited. Domination and forceful takeover and extermination of all who oppose them are the themes of the songs they chant as they march or to look for “refuge”.
        Will you print that, please do, give the whole truth.

D.L., I understand where you’re coming from and what you’re saying, but I have this crazy idea that a handfull of true, dedicated Christians willing to lay their lives down for Jesus can change the world, regardless of what the world looks like. It only took twelve disciples to radically, completely and permanently change the world.
        But even if that were not the case, I can’t recall any instances in the bible where Jesus tells us we are supposed to protect our society, our culture, our way of living or our country. I can, however, find a great many biblical references about loving our enemies, taking in the stranger, feeding the hungry, caring for the poor, and laying down our lives.

70. Oh dear, not even close to the same situation. Please stop comparing the Middle East conflicts to the Holocaust. It is not the same. It is an insult. Personally, I think we should take in refugees into this country, but it needs to be an increase in # of ALL refugees, not just Syrians. I don’t think we should change the process either, keep it the same, just increase #s. Syria has only been in turmoil for 4 years, what about Sudan! Darfur has been on going for at least 10 years. In 2014, Darfur experienced the highest levels of violence since 2004. Stop feeding into the media hype and learn about ALL the refugees around the world.

71. You don’t implement a rescue without a well thought out plan, otherwise you will end up with multiple victims of poor choices. As a professional rescuer, you always maintain a tangible safety boundary between yourself and the victim. They should not be a political pawn, which is what they are.

72. Bebo says:

There are valid points in this article…But, weren’t the brothers that are responsible for the Boston Marathon bombing refugees?

No, they weren’t. They came here on vacation visas and then sought asylum, a much more lenient process than the vetting done for refugees. Even so, if our biggest concern is about what “they” will do to us and not what we can offer a helpless, hurting people then – sure – we need to keep them out. We also need to keep our kids out of the public school system, never go to the theater, never drive our cars, never board a plane and pretty much keep ourselves locked in our houses. We CANNOT ensure our safety – not from the refugees and not from the neighbor down the street. The idea that we can is an illusion. The question instead becomes “what can we do? How can we love through an impossible, scary situation?”

73. Anonymous says:

Rina, I don’t know you ,but I love you. So much ignorance is being thrown at you and you come back with grace! You have a gift and definitely God.
    These people saying that Jews weren’t terrorist and the Muslims are known for it…I feel sorry for them. It’s like saying all white people are racist and all black people are ghetto and all Hispanics are illegals from Mexico. Bottom line not true. Just stereotypical. We are all human. There are the good and the bad no matter what country you come from.

Thank you, “Anonymous.” We forget that arguments were also raised against bringing the Jews into our country, only the concerns then were social and economical. Prejudice, racism and fear and will always find something seemingly “rational” to cling to. Deitrich Bonhoeffer, a member of the underground and one of the few pastors during the holocaust brave enough to speak out against the Nazi regime, wrote the following in his book The Cost of Discipleship:

“Christian love draws no distinction between one enemy and another, except that the more bitter our enemy’s hatred, the greater his need of love. Be his enmity political or religious, he has nothing to expect from a follower of Jesus but unqualified love. In such love there is not inner discord between the private person and official capacity. In both we are disciples of Christ, or we are not Christians at all… The will of God, to which the law gives expression, is that men should defeat their enemies by loving them… No sacrifice which a lover would make for his beloved is too great for us to make for our enemy.”

He was executed by the Nazis.

• Anonymous says:

Problem with this thinking if you’re not recognizing these are all men between 20 and 40 and ready, with the stated goal, to within one generation Marry our daughters outpopulate us and impose muslim control. They’re not hiding that goal.
      Look at what happened in Germany in the last two years, people are afraid to go out in the streets, afraid for their lives constantly.

As I wrote in an earlier comment, I understand where you’re coming from and what you’re saying, but I have this crazy idea that a handfull of true, dedicated Christians willing to lay their lives down for Jesus can change the world, regardless of what the world looks like. It only took twelve disciples to radically, completely and permanently change the world.

74. Pingback: How can they know if no one goes and tells them? | Rina Marie

75. Anon says:

Why wait to help with the Syrian Refugees, Rina? Why not open your doors tonight and advertise heavily in your inner city that your home is open to the homeless of your city? Now that would be truly placing all of your faith in God…wouldn’t it? And exposing your family to extreme danger. I sincerely ask…what is the difference? We can offer sanctuary to the Syrian “refuges” in their own homeland by militarizing a safe haven there. Why take the chance in our homeland? Senseless, dangerous and not at all unchristian to offer options that are more reasonable…..

76. Pingback: Things & Links That Are My Jam Right Now

77. Anonymous says:

You have beautifully and powerfully spoken words from my own heart! Absolutely beautiful. Thank you!

78. Anonymous says:

This is an irresponsible post. It is not apples to apples. The Jews that were harbored were innocent victims. To help them was the act of a good Samaritan, and a brave soul. The Syrians that are coming out and looking for “refuge” are not the same. By their own admission their goal is to set up and extinguish the societies the infiltrate this has been documented by the BBC very well.
    Germany is on the brink of collapse in certain areas because of it. They know they can undo our civilized ways if they simply have one generation to out populate, they have no desire to assimilate. If we want to help them save their own country and if they are truly a peaceloving group of Muslims who have a small percentage of militants we can help them retake their own country and secure it. The fact is that is not their stated goal. Don’t fall for an apples to rotten apples comparison.

79. Anonymous says:

You make some excellent points and you make them gently – very well done! Blessings to you and yours

80. Jerald Vickery says:

Wonderful or should I say heavenly views. However the reality of it is every dollar will be borrowed from China to pay for these Widows and orphans and it will be a burden on future generations of Americans. These people themselves will be a burden having no love for America and will never assimilate into our society only seek to change it. Climb down from the mount these are not refugees they are unwelcome invaders. Feel bad for them yes responsible no.

81. Erin says:

The metaphor doesn’t work for me. The risks to countries that provide harbor for refugees are nothing like the risks that families in Nazi Germany faced for harboring Jewish people. Comparing Americans’ fear of refugee terrorist babies to German citizens’ fear of the Nazis is waaaay too generous.

I think a lot of people who are promoting refugee refusal are not truly afraid they will encounter terrorists. The rhetoric is so extreme, it’s what you’d expect to hear from people who had been routinely and personally traumatized by a violent enemy. It does not ring as genuine from people who live day to day safe on their couches, watching the problems of others on the news.

No, I think a lot of these people are more afraid of being out of line with an ideological club that has made them feel like they are The Good People against The Terrible World. They might be able to work themselves into a frenzy over terrorism, and they might even buy their own righteous act. But the heart of their fear is that they will no longer fit in with the ideological group that has given them a feeling of moral security and superiority. Every time someone says, “But it’s not about hate!” and then spews a ton of bigoted nastiness against Muslims, followed by another, “But it’s not about hate!” the cognitive dissonance becomes pretty obvious.

82. April Hladik says:

I thank you writing and my friend Tricia for posting. I am having this internal conflict right now. How can I go ahead and plan a Christmas when a million parents are just hoping and praying they and theirs may make it another day. Just another day! And thank you for all the research you did because this really puts things into perspective. It wipes our a lot of our unrealistic fears. Without the support of research my hope is too simplistic: not pragmatic at all. What if we all took what we’d spend on Christmas anyway and gave it to a local or international charity?

83. Anonymous says:

You talk about helping the homeless is our responsibility but being close to the same, our stupid president needs to help our own first before taking care of others that most likely will now be 1st in line. You need to wake up to the reality or for each one that moves in, you & your family should move to the refugees country so they can take your place.

84. Pingback: Quick Takes, 11/26/2015 | Rina Marie

85. Pingback: It’s not “their” problem. It’s ours. | Rina Marie

86. Pingback: If you have a pet, you shouldn’t vote for Bernie Sanders* | Rina Marie

87. Pingback: How then, shall we vote? | Rina Marie